[NOTE: Most of my conference keynotes/plenary talks are listed elsewhere on this website under Conference Presentations 2010-present]
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Ethnographic research in applied linguistics. Sogang University, Seoul, Korea, June 2017.
- Duff, P. Beijing Normal University, series of three research seminars, on qualitative research methods in applied linguistics, June 20-22, 2017.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote. Future Directions for Language Education: Challenges, Issues, Opportunities. Symposium on language education policy for Ontario institutions (Jeff Bale, organizer). Ontario Institute for Studies in Education / University of Toronto. Nov. 22, 2015.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Trends, issues, and possibilities in case study research on language learning. Macquarie University. Sydney, Australia. Sept. 12, 2015.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote. Current methodological trends, challenges and opportunities in language and literacy research. In (all-day) Colloquium on Current Methodological Trends, Challenges and Opportunities in Language and Literacy Research. University of New South Wales. Sydney, Australia, Sept. 9, 2015.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Socializing identities, ideologies, and practices of global citizenship and participation through English language education. University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, Aug. 19, 2015.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture (in Leo van Lier Guest Lecture Series). Academic Language and Literacy Socialization for English Language Learners, Middlebury Institute for International Studies at Monterey, CA. May 1, 2015.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote lecture. Examining Agency and Self-directed Socialization in Second Language Research. Symposium on Second Language Acquisition. Michigan State University. Feb. 27, 2015.
- Duff, P. (Invited featured colloquium participant, in honour of Dr. Olga Kagan’s contributions to heritage language education and research). New Directions and Issues in Research on Chinese as a Heritage Language. Modern Language Association, Vancouver, January 2015. (S. Forrester, organizer)
- Duff, P. Invited discussant of presentations on The Multilingual University: The impact of linguistic diversity in higher education in English-dominant and English Medium Instructional contexts ESRC Seminar Series. SEMINAR 1: Multilingual learning & transnational networks in HE in English-dominant and EMI settings: What bi/multilingual & transnational students learn from each other beyond the classroom (4 lectures). Nov. 14, 2014, Birkbeck, University of London,
- Duff, P. Commonwealth Visiting Fellowship (Reciprocal Visiting Fellow Award), Cambridge University, UK (Education)- Nov 5-14, 2014 Host: Centre for Commonwealth Education/Commonwealth Education Trust & Cambridge Research in Community Language Education (CRiCLE) Network (Y. Liu, organizers). Theme: The Common Wealth of Community and Heritage Languages. (approx. $10,000).
- Activities/Events at Cambridge University:
- Duff, P. Public lecture: Multilingual Socialization: Negotiating Multiple Languages, Identities, Ideologies, and Practices. 10, 2014.
- Duff, P. Master Class: Case study research in applied linguistics: What can case studies of L2 learners tell us? Nov. 12, 2014 (2.5 hours)
- Duff, P. Discussion leader (of Duff 2015 ARAL article read and discussed by 30+ members); Cambridge Research in Community Language Education (CRiCLE) network. Nov. 11, 2014 (2.5 hrs).
- Formal consultation session and feedback on PhD proposal, with PhD. Candidate, Nov. 10, 2014.
- Duff, P. Invited Lecturer. Multilingual socialization. Stony Brook University, Center for Multilingual and Intercultural Communication (Distinguished Lecture Series). Oct. 6, 2014. (cancelled due to family emergency)
- Duff, P. Invited Guest/Distinguished Lecturer. (1) Case Study Research in Applied Linguistics (short 1-credit course x 2 campuses); Public lecture: What do Case Studies of Language Learning Tell Us? Temple University Japan, Tokyo & Osaka campuses, May 9-18, 2014. (Part of Distinguished Lecturer Series).
- Duff, P. Invited lectures: Examining Agency in Language Socialization Research Involving East Asian Languages; and Learning East Asian Languages: Insights from Linguistic Anthropology and Applied Linguistics. University of Arizona, Tucson (Inaugural lecturer in East Asian Languages lecture series) Feb. 7-8, 2014.
- Duff, P. Invited lectures (n=2). Academic Discourse Socialization: Theoretical Foundations, Issues and Insights, and Research Methods. Shandong University & Shandong University of Finance, Jinan, China. November 18-19, 2013.
- Duff, P. Invited series of lectures: (1) Learning Chinese: Linguistic, sociocultural, and narrative perspectives; (2) Second Language Socialization: Identity, Agency and Culture in SLA; (3) Discourse analysis related to identity and positionality in foreign language classrooms. Bennington College, Vermont, Oct. 9-11, 2013.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. New Directions and Trends in Language Socialization Research. University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, June 14, 2012.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. New Directions in Language Socialization. University of California, Santa Barbara, Nov. 7, 2012.
- Duff ,P. Invited lecture: “Case study research in applied linguistics”. For 20 visiting Beijing-area university professors. EPLT, January 31, 2012
- Duff, P. Scholar in Residence (Invited). Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA. Plenary lecture: New Directions, Issues and Approaches in Research on Chinese Language Learning. Plus two doctoral seminars on research methods and two consultation sessions. Feb. 27-March 5, 2011.
- Duff, P. & Li, D. Invited lecture. “Ethnographic case studies: Ethnographic Case Studies: Language Socialization across Contexts and Cultures.” University of Oaxaca, Mexico. Dec. 18, 2010.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Current issues and approaches in research on learning Chinese as an additional language.” East China Normal University, Shanghai. Oct. 30, 2010.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote lecture. “Learning English in the Asia-Pacific Region: A Language Socialization Perspective. International Conference on Teaching and Learning of English in Early Years in the Asia-Pacific Region. Hong Kong Institute of Education, May 29, 2010.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “New directions in case study research in applied linguistics”. Beijing Normal University, Dec. 1, 2009.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “New directions in case study research in applied linguistics”. Southwest University, Chongqing, China. Dec. 3, 2009.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Case study in applied linguistics”. Foreign Language Education Dept. Yunnan Normal University, Oct. 22, 2009
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Theories of second language acquisition”. Chinese Language Institute. Yunnan Normal University. October 23, 2009.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Education in Canada. Dali senior High School for Nationalities”. Dali, Yunnan, China, October 2009.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Academic discourse socialization”. Foreign Language Education Dept., Yunnan Normal University, Feb. 2009.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Task-based language teaching”. Chinese Language Institute, Yunnan Normal University, Feb. 2009
- Duff, P. Invited lectures. “Issues in Academic Discourse Socialization” and ”Current Approaches to Task-based Language Teaching and Research”. Inner Mongolia University of Technology, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, June 25, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Foundations and Issues in Second Language Socialization”. National Normal Taiwan University, May 5, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Issues in Second / Additional Language Socialization.” Second Language Acquisition Institute. University of California, Davis, March 14, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Issues in Second / Additional Language Socialization.” Department of Linguistics, University of Victoria, BC. March 7, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote. “Language Learning: 21st Century Competencies and Skills–Some Updates”. Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Symposium on Education to Achieve 21st Century Competences and Skills for All: Respecting the Past to Move toward the Present. Xi’an, China, Jan. 16, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote. “APEC Second/Foreign Language Learning Standards and their Assessment: Trends, Opportunities, and Implications”; Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Symposium on Education to Achieve 21st Century Competences and Skills for All: Respecting the Past to Move toward the Present. Xi’an, China, Jan. 16, 2008.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Current Approaches to Task-based Language Teaching and Research. Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Dec. 17, 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote. “Issues in Academic Discourse Socialization”. English in Southeast Asia Conference, King Mongkut University of Technology, Bangkok, Dec. 12, 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Issues in Academic Discourse Socialization”. Penn State University, Oct. 18, 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited Visiting Professor. Case Study and Ethnography in Second Language Acquisition and Language Socialization Research. 16 hr doctoral course for students from Croatia, Hungary, and Romania. University of Pecs, Hungary, Oct. 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited guest lecture. “Issues in Second Language Socialization Research”. California State University, Long Beach, Dept of Linguistics, April 19, 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Language Socialization, Globalization, and Hybridity”. Invitational Conference on Language Socialization Research. Center for Culture, Language and Interaction. University of California, Los Angeles, Feb. 24, 2007.
- Duff, P. Invited graduate course presentation (Dr. Larry Vandergrift, EDU
7141, Research in Second Language Teaching.) “Foundations and Issues in (Second) Language Socialization Research”. University of Ottawa, Oct. 2, 2006.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Second Language Institute. University of Ottawa. October 2, 2006.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. SLA Ph.D. Program. University of Wisconsin-Madison. Sept. 22, 2006.
- Duff, P. Invited plenary presentation. “Second Language Socialization as Sociocultural Theory: Insights and Issues.”
PacSLRF /Australian Association of Applied Linguistics joint conference session. University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, July 4-6, 2006.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote lecture. “A Critical Analysis of the Changing Multilingual Ecology of Canada within the Americas”. Association for Canadian Studies in German-Speaking Countries Grainau Conference 2006, Germany, Feb. 17-19, 2006.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Issues in Academic Discourse Socialization. University of Hawaii, Manoa, Department of Second Language Studies, Jan. 19, 2006.
- Duff, P. Distinguished Visiting Scholar. Faculty of Arts, School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. Nov. 12-Dec. 19, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote lecture, “Problematizing Academic Discourse Socialization.” Learning Discourses and the Discourses of Learning Conference. Monash University, Dec. 8, 2005.
- Duff, P. Distinguished Visiting Scholar. Faculty of Arts, School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. Nov. 12-Dec. 10, 2005. Consultation with colleagues/students and keynote lecture, “Learning Discourses and the Discourses of Learning”
Conference. Monash University, Dec. 8, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited seminar. “Current Issues in Language Socialization Research.” University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand, Dec. 5-6, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited seminar. “Pop Culture, Intertextuality, and Classroom Interaction: Challenges for English Language Learners.”
Auckland University, New Zealand. Dec. 3, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Heteroglossia in Foreign Language Classrooms: Research, Debates, and Issues”. Asian Studies, Monash University, Australia, Nov. 17, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Current Issues in Language Socialization Research”. University of Melbourne, Nov. 18, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited Visiting Professor. “Language Socialization Research.” Two-week graduate course. Penn State Summer Institute in Applied Linguistics, June 27-July 8, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited workshop. “Content-based Instruction for Korean-English Bilingual Programs”. Dept. of East Asian Languages, UCLA, Feb. 5, 2005.
- Duff, P. Invited Plenary Speaker. “Task-based research and teaching: Still taking task to task”. Alberta Association of Teachers of English as a Second Language (ATESL) 25th Anniversary Conference. October 22, 2004, Edmonton, AB.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Heteroglossia in Foreign Language Classrooms: Research, Debates, and Issues.” University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley Language Center Lecture Series.. October 15, 2004.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Heteroglossia in Foreign Language Classrooms: Research, Debates, and Issues.” OISE/University of Toronto, Modern Language Centre Colloquium Series. Oct. 3, 2004.
- Duff, P. Distinguished Lecturer. “Sociocultural Approaches to Second Language Learning.” Temple University of Japan (Tokyo and Osaka). June 19 and June 26, 2004, Tokyo and Osaka. Followed by 22 hours of seminars on the same topic (over two weekends). Temple University of Japan Graduate Program in TESOL.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote presentation. “Foreign Language Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice”. 2004 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Education Ministers Summit, with leaders from 21 APEC
countries (“economies”) present. Santiago, Chile, April 27, 2004.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote presentation. “Foreign Language Policy, Research, and Practice: A Western Perspective”. APEC Educational Summit, Beijing, Jan. 12-14, 2004. Sponsored by the Chinese Ministry of Education, the Chilean Ministry of Education, and the United States Department of Education, with invited delegates from 21 APEC countries.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Language Socialization, Hybrid Discourse Practices, and Silence in Multilingual Canadian Classrooms”
Colloquium Series. Modern Language Centre. Ontario Institute for Studies in Education/University of Toronto. October 3, 2003.
- Duff, P. Distinguished Visiting Professor. Series of six lectures and workshops. American University in Cairo, English Language Institute (graduate program in TESL and English language institute, also open to general public and to program in Arabic as a Second Language). Titles: “Sociolinguistic activities for the EFL classroom”; “The role of language teaching in the globalization and socialization process”; “Qualitative research methods”; “Content-based language teaching and research”;
“Current developments in L2 methodology and research”; and “Task-based language teaching and research”. In addition, consultation with faculty, staff, and students about research programs, curriculum, and assessment issues. April 6-20, 2003.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. Classroom research on L2 academic discourse socialization”. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champagne, Feb. 20, 2003; and “Qualitative Research in Applied Linguistics”. Workshop/discussion for graduate students. Feb. 21, 2003.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Current issues in second-language classroom research: Language socialization, participation, and identity.”
Nagoya Gakuin University, Japan. July 20, 2002. Duff, P. Visiting Lecturer. Invited summer seminar (16 hours). “Task-based language teaching and classroom interaction.” Nagoya Gakuin University, Japan, July 16-19, 2002.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Classroom research on L2 academic discourse socialization: Examining NNSs’ participation in mainstream courses”. University of Pittsburgh, July 5, 2002.
- Duff, P. Research workshop. “Qualitative research methods in applied linguistics”. Summer Institute in Applied Linguistics, Penn State University, July 3, 2002.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “English-as-a-Foreign-Language (EFL) Research Priorities.” Incheon National University of Education. Incheon, Korea. June 26, 2001.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Qualitative Research Methods in Applied Linguistics.” University of Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil. August 2, 2000.
- Duff, P. Visiting Scholar. Modern Language Centre, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. February, 2000.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Language Socialization Research:
Foundations, Approaches and Issues.” Colloquium Series, Modern Language Centre, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education/Univ. of Toronto, February 18, 2000.
- Duff, P. Visiting Professor, Teachers College, Columbia University, Fall, 1999. Graduate course taught: A&HL 5588 “Trends in Second Language Acquisition Research: Task-based Instruction” (Subtitle:
“Psycholinguistic and Sociocultural Approaches to Research on Tasks in Second Language Acquisition/Instruction”)
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Repetition in Second Language Classroom Research: Psycholinguistic and Sociocultural Perspectives.”
Dept. of TESOL/Applied Linguistics, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, Dec. 3, 1999.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Teaching Tasks: New Directions in Research and Instruction using Second-language Classroom Activities.”
Dept. of Curriculum and Teaching, Hunter College of the City University of New York, Nov.19, 1999.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “Linguistic, Epistemic and Sociocultural Barriers Facing ESL Students Entering Mainstream Classrooms.” Dept. of Multilingual and Multicultural Studies, New York University, Nov. 17, 1999.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture. “New Developments in Research on Second Language Acquisition and Teaching”. National University of Defence Technology, Changsha, China, June 16, 1998.
- Duff, P. Invited workshop (for faculty members). “Qualitative Research Methods.” School of Education, California State University, Northridge, CA. May 2, 1997.
- Duff, P. Invited lecture, “Developments in Classroom Research on First/Second Language Oral Discourse.” University of Stockholm, Feb. 10, 1997.
- Duff, P. Invited seminar presentation. “Rituals of Practice in Second Language Classroom Research”. Dept. of Applied Linguistics. Thames Valley University, UK. Feb. 4, 1997.
- Duff, P. Invited keynote speaker. “Multilingualism in Canada: Educational Policies, Practices, and Possibilities” (“Multilinguisme au Canada: politiques d’éducation, practiques, et possibilités.”) Two lectures, presented in French. Invited representative of Canada (Featured Country), Expolangues, Paris, France, January 29, 1997; & February 1, 1997.
- Duff, P. Invited plenary speaker. “Current Developments in Second Language Teaching Methodology and Research.” International Book Fair, University of Guadalajara, Mexico. Other invited talks: “Research methods in second language acquisition”; “Sociocultural identity and teachers’ professional development”; “Teacher-research in TESOL”. University of Guadalajara, Dec. 3-10, 1996.
- Duff, P. Invited presentations. “Language Socialization in Eastern European Schools: A Case Study of Recitation and Transformation”; “Approaches to Research on Foreign Language Classrooms”; “Teachers’ Use of Local and Target Languages in Foreign Language Classrooms.” Task Force on Research in Foreign Language Education, University of Melbourne, Australia, Dept. of Applied Linguistics and School of Languages, Nov/Dec., 1994.
- Duff, P. Invited presentation. “Immersion Education: Foundations and Findings in the Hungarian Context.” Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, June 17, 1993.
- Duff, P. Invited presentation. “Evaluating Hungarian English Dual language Schools: What do We Know Three Years Later?” Hungarian Dual Language School Association, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, June 22, 1992.
- Duff, P. Invited presentation. “Students’ Attitudes toward Change in Hungarian Dual language Schools.” United States Peace Corps Summer Seminar on Cross Cultural Awareness. Kecskemet, Hungary. July 26, 1991.
- Duff, P. Invited seminar. “Typology and Transfer in ESL.” Research Institute of the Åbo Akademi Foundation, Åbo, Finland, May 1986.